Descendants of Bridget NOLAN (to contribute information, please email Helen@HelensFamilyTrees.com)

Third Generation


6. Thomas (Tom) P. RYAN (Malachy RYAN , Bridget ) was born about 22 Jul 1894 in Garryhill, Co. Carlow. He was christened on 22 Jul 1894 in Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. He died in early 1940s in Dublin.

Sponsors at Tom's baptism were James Nolan and Pauline Kearney.

Thomas married Eileen COLLINS on 28 Sep 1927 in Church of the Most Holy Redeemer, Bray, Co. Wicklow. Eileen died in probably Dublin.

Eileen was from Lucan, Co. Dublin.

They had the following children.

  9 M i
Malachy RYAN was born in 1928 in Dublin. He died on 31 Jan 2015 in Sandymount, Dublin. He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin.

Malachy, who never married, lived in Sandymount, Dublin.
  10 F ii Living.
+ 11 F iii Living.
+ 12 M iv John RYAN died about 2007.

7. Mary Brigid RYAN (Malachy RYAN , Bridget ) was born on 24 Mar 1898 in Garryhill, Co. Carlow. She was christened on 27 Mar 1898 in Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. She died on 18 Nov 1950 in 'Ui Breasail', Roebuck Road, Clonskeagh, Co. Dublin. She was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin.

Sponsors at Mary's christening were Gerald Kearney and Clare O'Reilly.

Mary was educated at the Loreto Secondary School on Dublin's St. Stephen's Green. After leaving school, Mary went to England and joined the Post Office Section of the British Civil Service in the Brook Green/Kensington area of London.

Mary and her London-born future husband, Stephen Hussey, met at a local dance in west London. In comparision to his six-foot frame, five-foot-tall Mary was tiny. In 1921, about a year before their marriage, Stephen visited Ireland for the first time when Mary brought him to meet her family in Co. Carlow. After they married, Mary and Stephen lived in East Acton, and later at 12 Ullswater Road (which Stephen designed and built) in Barnes in London.

Around 1948, after her eldest three daughters had moved to Ireland, Mary brought Brigie, the youngest, to Dublin to join her sisters. Mary's plan was to help her daughters settle in to the new home she and Stephen and just bought for them in Clonskeagh (named 'Ui Breasail' by Mary after the mythological island of Celtic folklore) after which she would return to London. However, while in Ireland she began to feel unwell and it was discovered she had cancer. Sadly, she never made it back to London, and died in Dublin in November 1950 aged only 52.

The cause of Mary's death was "carcinoma of colon (18 months)" and "metastasis of ovaries" (nine months)"

Mary married Stephen HUSSEY, son of James HUSSEY and Jane Frances BUTLER, on 28 Aug 1922 in Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. Stephen was born on 25 Jul 1895 in Hammersmith, London. He died on 7 Sep 1978 in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin.

Stephen grew up in Hammersmith, Kensington and Chelsea. Money was short, and he had to leave school at the age of 11 or 12 to help financially in the upbringing of his younger brothers and sisters. He is listed, aged 15, in the 1911 census as a builder's clerk.

In 1914, at the beginning of World War I, Stephen joined the Royal Engineers Regiment of the British Army - the 'sappers', as they were known - and was sent to France. Sappers endured the most atrocious conditions and were always the last to leave an area when a retreat was taking place, blowing up roads and bridges behind them so as to slow up pursuit by enemy forces. During one such British evacuation, Stephen carried a wounded man to safety on his back, under gunfire, and was awarded the Military Medal.

After the war, Stephen was trained as a builder by his grandfather, Thomas Hussey, and his uncle, Will Hussey. Stephen later formed a partnership with a Mr. Worman (Worman and Hussey), eventually setting up his own building company, Hussey Bros. (Builders) Ltd., on Queensway, Bayswater, London, with his brothers, Martin and Austin. The company was mostly involved in the building of churches, schools and convents, and for many years, Hussey Bros. had a maintenance contract with Westminster Cathedral. During World War II, once the German air assault on London started, the brothers worked mostly under official government contract on emergency repair and safety building work. After the war, the company built several modern churches.

In 1947, Stephen and his wife, Mary, decided that their daughters would be better off living in Ireland, and so the girls moved to Dublin, the plan being that Stephen and Mary would initially remain in London and eventually retire to Dublin. Stephen and Mary sold their home in Barnes, moved into a flat over the premises of Hussey Bros. in Bayswater, and  purchased a house on Roebuck Road in Clonskeagh for their daughters. However, on an extended visit to the girls in Dublin Mary became ill and died without ever returning to London.

After Mary's death, Stephen visited Dublin more and more frequently. In 1957, with Maureen married, and Una and Brigie engaged to be married, he decided to sell the house on Roebuck Road, and a smaller house on Cedarmount Road in Mount Merrion was purchased. In the 1960s Stephen retired to Dublin, and for the remainder of his life he lived with Sheila at 14 Cedarmount Road.

Stephen died of myocardial ischaemia with atherosclerosis, also carcinoma of the stomach, at St. Michael's Hospital, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.

They had the following children.

+ 13 F i Maureen HUSSEY was born on 5 Jul 1924. She died on 19 Mar 1995.
  14 F ii
Sheila HUSSEY was born on 2 Jan 1927 in East Acton, London. She died on 27 Jun 2003 in Mount Merrion, Dublin. She was buried on 30 Jun 2003 in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin.

Sheila grew up in Barnes in London where she was educated at a small French convent about a mile from her home. Barnes was heavily bombed during World War II and Sheila and her family spent much time in the air-raid shelter built by her father under the garage of their home.

Sheila had an interesting encounter during World War II: one afternoon, having returned from school, Sheila was sent by her mother to run some errands in Hammersmith. She was waiting at a bus stop in Barnes and, as usual, there were many army vehicles passing by. One of them, a large U.S. Army car with flags, stopped and a large, middle-aged officer sitting in the back of the vehicle and sporting an impressive array of medals, offered Sheila a lift. Although she may have been told by her parents never to accept a lift from a stranger, Sheila hopped in beside the driver and on the short trip to Hammersmith Broadway she and the army man in the back chatted about school and her favourite subjects before being dropped off in Hammersmith. It was only the next day, when she looked at the front page of the newspaper and saw a photograph of the same officer who had offered her the lift, that Sheila realised she had met Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

After leaving school, Sheila started work in the Irish Passport Office at the Irish Embassy in London. Some time later, Sheila acted, unknowingly, as a matchmaker for two of her sisters: a group of young Irish civil servants had been sent from Dublin to augment the staff at the Irish Passport Office, and among them were Cormac Gordon and Michael Roantree. Sheila's mother, remembering how lonely she had felt when she had first arrived in London from Ireland, told Sheila to invite the newcomers to tea the following Sunday. And that was how Sheila's sister Maureen met her future husband, Cormac. Another sister, Una, would later marry Michael's brother Tom. Sheila herself never married.

After Sheila moved to Dublin in 1947 with her sisters, she worked briefly in advertising and then moved on to publishing and some freelance journalism. She then spent a number of years in the now-defunct Irish News Agency, after which she joined Coras Trachtála (the Irish Export Board) and worked for many years in public relations and press work. She lived on Cedarmount Road, Mount Merrion, Co. Dublin and in her retirement became an active member of the Green party.
+ 15 F iii Una HUSSEY was born on 1 Oct 1928. She died on 29 Sep 1995.
+ 16 F iv Living.

8. Patrick (Paddy) L. RYAN (Malachy RYAN , Bridget ) was born about 21 Oct 1900 in Garryhill, Co. Carlow. He was christened on 21 Oct 1900 in Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. He died on 16 Apr 1973.

Sponsors at Paddy's christening were Patrick Joyce and Margaret Joyce.

Paddy was headmaster of Garryhill School, like his father and grandfather before him. However, Paddy taught at the new school which was built a short distance away from the old National and Agricultural School where his elder brother John, his father and grandfather had taught. In 1937 Paddy and his wife, Stanzie, built a house in Garryhill (designed by Paddy's brother-in-law Stephen Hussey) on the site of the old National and Agricultural School.

Patrick married Cecilia (Stanzie) KEALY, daughter of Martin KEALY and Christina COEN, on 12 Aug 1931 in Church of Ss Peter and Paul, Killinierin, Co. Wexford. Cecilia was born on 29 Oct 1903 in Co. Kilkenny. She died on 17 Nov 1990 in Ballon, Co. Carlow. She was buried in Drumphea Church Cemetery, Co. Carlow.

'Stanzie' was a childhood name which stuck. Her father was a teacher and she followed in his footsteps. She was offered a job at Garryhill School and that was how she met Paddy, who was headmaster of the school. Stanzie, who came from a very musical family and was herself a talented musician, formed a highy regarded flageolet band in 1943, composed of children from her school.

They had the following children.

+ 17 M i Living.
+ 18 F ii Living.
+ 19 M iii Living.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index